Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Winter Harvest


My first attempt a winter garden has not been going very well. I planted a little late and I got the cold covers on the plants after a frost. It definitely wasn't the best planning. We lost a few things in the frost but I think most might make it. My kale and spinach seem to be growing just fine. However the wet weather I think contributed to the cabbage and beets being demolished by slugs. I have some collard greens that may or may not make it. They were unfortunately caught in the frost. The parsnips and new brussel sprouts will be ok but they will definitely have to over-winter. The garlic appears to be unharmed by the cold weather but then again it is supposed to be over-wintered so I would expect it to be hardy.
The summer garden went so well though that a failing winter garden is really affecting us. Yes, I feel disappointed that some of my garden died and that other plants were eaten by bugs but the fact that it is the end of November hasn't had an impact on our diet. We've been eating a lot of the zucchini and beans we froze this summer and I've started cracking open the cans of fruit I preserved. I love that I put all the effort into it because now we are able to maintain our local, organic and health diet.


Above are some pictures of what we have been able to get from the garden this winter. Some very sweet carrots (not many but some) and some tender organic brussel sprouts. Brussel sprouts take a very long time to grow. They were some of the first things I planted in April and the first harvest was ready the second week of October. I will have to remember to plant early if I want brussel sprouts.

2 comments:

  1. That's too bad that your winter garden isn't working out so well, but how cool that you have so much frozen and can still eat your own produce anyway! We're definitely back to eating store bought again already, besides a little bit of zucchini that's left that I've been throwing in pasta sauces when we have them. I meant to plant my garlic back in October and forgot, so now I guess it'll just have to wait until next year if it's still good. The label actually says it can be planted early spring so I may try that if I'm not distracted by other things at the time. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be able to get some garlic if you plant next year, depending on what kind you have. I'm definitely pleased that I went to effort of freezing and preserving. It has made me all the more motivated for next summers growing season.

    ReplyDelete