Sunday, February 26, 2012

A Shirt for Me

Sewing for myself has always been a challenge. I don't have a form and fitting things to myself without one almost never works out. This project is a good example of that.
I had some really nice Nani Iro double gauze that I thought would make a perfect spring top. I used the Sew Liberated Schoolhouse Tunic, but cut it to the shirt length. I cut the size that the patterns guide indicated would fit me. I sewed it most of the way, put it on and it was way too big. Almost two sizes too big. After a lot of pining and resewing I have something that I can wear. It isn't overly flattering but it is very comfortable.

The seam down the back was a way to deal with the huge amount of extra fabric and I opted not to add the elastic to the arm hem. I find wearing a belt with it helps with the oversized problem. I will wear it because I love the fabric and it's light and comfy but if I use a Sew Liberated pattern again, I will definitely size down.


  1. I had the same problem with mine - it ended up way too big and I had to take in a bunch off of the sides. That said, I think that yours look fantastic!

  2. Thanks! I wish I could have just taken it in at the sides but it wasn't enough so I had to do that seam down the back. Still, I love the fabric and it's an easy shirt to nurse in.