Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Berry Bag

It was time for a new bag. My other bags have taken quite the beating and the lovely one my brother bought me for Christmas just had the bottom fall out. So Anna Maria Horner and Rae to the rescue. I used the Lickety Split Bag pattern from Made by Rae. I modified it a bit since shoulder bags are not appreciated when one is chasing down a two year old. Instead of the tie at the shoulder I just overlapped the ends and stitched them together making a small leaf pattern on the shoulder. I also added about 3 inches to the pattern at the shoulder to make it the length I was hoping for. There have been many good bags in the past but something was always lacking. Here, I was in charge! I added a key clip so no more fumbling around for keys in the bottom of my bag. There are 2 inner pockets, one fits my cellphone perfectly and the other holds my sunglasses and lip balm. My only regret is that I didn't add ties to the top but floppiness is only an issue when I'm traveling light (which I rarely am).

Although the pattern called for cotton, I needed a bag that would last. I decided to use some Anna Maria Horner velveteen. I think this is called Forest Berries or something like that but as soon as I saw it I thought of my summer's picking red huckleberries in the woods around the island. I had to have it, even before I had a pattern in mind I knew I wanted that fabric. It is soft, sturdy and so pretty. I lined the bag with a light cotton so the bag didn't end up to bulky.

I think this bag might just be as close to perfection as I can create. I might add a button to close the top if it really bothers me but at the moment I love it. It holds everything I need it to and still looks amazing. I really hope this is a bag I will be able to keep for many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment